Monday, January 31, 2011

The past few days a Roma

Ok, so I can't find my little cord thing for my camera so I can't upload pictures. I know it's somewhere in my room... I will find it soon. But in the meantime, I will catch you up on what I've been doing.
On Friday we had classes and then we went to the catacombs of St Sebastian. That was pretty cool, but I have seen the replicas in DC so many times that it didn't seem new to me. It was hard to grasp the fact that I was in the real place, where there were actually martyrs buried, and where Christians had hidden and prayed almost two thousand years ago. There are seven miles of tunnels and three levels. Above the tunnels Constantine built and church and put St Sebastian in it, and so it is today. The whole thing is on the old Via Appia, where so many famous people in history and religion have walked. That evening the school took us all out to eat at a ristorante on lake Albano. The food was delicious, lots of antipasta and then pizza and dessert. After that about 30 or 35 of us went to Saints and Sinners and missed the bus back (actually the bus was just really really late, as it turned out) and we all had to walk 4k back to campus. Oh well.
Saturday was the scavenger hunt. We were broken up into teams, the school helped us take the bus and metro into Roma, we all met up in the Piazza del Populo, and we set off in search of things like a pigeon, a nun, people kissing, and the house of Keats and Shelly, to name a few. Every picture had to include at least six members of the group and a sign that said "we were here" but in Italian. If we got 15 we got metro and bus tickets, if we got 25 we got the tickets and cap bar cards, and if we won we got a free dinner. We definitely did not win, but we got about 25. They haven't yet told us who got what, so we'll see.
After the scavenger hunt, Alexandra and I walked over to San Pietro and sat outside of a bar/caffe thing, wrote postcards, ate peanuts, and thought about how cool it was that we could see the beautiful dome of St Peters over the cars and buses and graffitied walls.
We made it back to campus in time to change into nicer clothes and go to the wine tasting at 8:00. I have to say, I've never seen my classmates looking so classy as we did all standing around with our wine and cheese in our nice clothes. The meal and wine were great. Are you seeing a theme here? Italy has really good food. The wine tasting, that Monseigneur put on for us btw, lasted two or three hours and included antipasta, three kinds of pasta for the main course, two kinds of tarts for dessert, and four different wines. We had one sparkling, one other white, and two reds. The white was my favorite, but we were all pretty split on which was the best. Let is suffice to say that they were all very good and far more expensive than I am able to afford.
Sunday was a day of rest for me and Alex. We read Phaedo, went to the grocery store, went to dinner, and then read Oedipus Rex with the class.
Today we had three ninety minute classes back to back. That was tough, but the classes were good. Alexandra and I went into the city with Spencer and Andy. We walked around and ended up losing track of/ditching/being ditched by the boys. We wandered, ran across the Trevi fountain, and then ended up somewhere... we don't really know where. On the way we found a really nice old bookstore which was lovely. We had dinner at a little place in some piazza somewhere and sat outside. It was nice. We missed out Monday night meeting, though, which was not very good, but these things happen.

Post Script, the above is what I wrote last night before the internet decided it did not like me anymore. Now it is Tuesday morning, I don't have class til 9:45 and I am going to do a little reading.

2 comments:

  1. Daddy wanted to ask you if you want him to send you a new camera cord thing? (I really think he just wants the thrill of ordering from Amazon.Italy or whatever it is called.) Anyway, it'll be lovely to see photos! So if you dig through your room and still can't find it, let Dad know and he'll get you a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see these scavenger hunt pictures up on FB!

    ReplyDelete